Boy with down syndrome sits crossed leg on the floor, playing music from an Ipad.

Our specialist equipment grants provide funding for items to support children with complex health needs.

Equipment funded by our grants should improve the wellbeing of children with complex health needs by any of the following: 

  • Facilitating mobility
  • Enhancing sensory awareness
  • Supporting physical development
  • Providing comfort (e.g. for spinal issues or other physiological issues)
  • Supporting educational or communication needs
  • Providing opportunities for inclusion
  • Ensuring safety at home or away from home (e.g. specialist car seats, bed guards, etc)

To apply for an FTCT grant, one parent must work OR have recently worked in the UK fashion and textile industry, for at least one year within the last nine years.

Find out more about our trade criteria

If you think this might apply to your family, please jump to when we fund specialist equipment and items we typically fund.

Don't work in fashion and textiles, what next?

If you're sure you have never worked in UK fashion or textiles, unfortunately we won't be the right charity for you. Try this list of other charities who might be able to help your family. 

When we fund specialist equipment

Our specialist equipment grants provide funding for specialist items to support children who have complex health needs and ongoing conditions.

These conditions might include: 

  • Autism
  • ADHD
  • Cerebral palsy
  • Paraplegics and Quadriplegic
  • Head and Spinal cord injuries
  • Spina bifida
  • Epilepsy
  • Motor neurones
  • Down syndrome
  • Polymicrogyria
  • Duchennes muscular dystrophy
  • Spinal muscular atrophy
  • Learning difficulties
  • Global Developmental Delay
  • Williams Syndrome
  • Fragile X Syndrome
  • Other diagnosed health conditions not listed above

The requested items will vary for each child and should be essential to support their health or wellbeing.

Items typically funded  include:

  • Sensory items
  • Communication aids
  • Adaptive/Sensory clothing
  • SEN adapted iPad or computer
  • Speech and language resources
  • Physical exercise equipment (e.g. trampolines)
  • Adaptive children's bedroom furniture
  • Adaptive pushchair or stroller
  • Adaptive trikes and bicycles
  • Moulded seating systems (e.g. PPod or Ottoblox)
  • Adaptive car seats
  • Wheelchairs and accessories

Supporting documents

All applications for specialist equipment need to be accompanied by a supporting letter or recent health assessment (within the past 6 months) from a UK government professional who is known to or working with the family, e.g. UK government social worker, NHS health worker, CAHMS.

In the first instance, supporting letters will not be accepted from the practitioner or company who will be retailing or supplying the equipment, due to potential conflicts of interest. 

Make an enquiry

If you would like to apply for a grant for specialist equipment, the first step is to complete our online enquiry form using the green button below. 

Make an enquiry   

Archie's Story

Find our how a specialist equipment grant helped Archie and his siblings. Read Archie's Story here.