If you no longer have payslips from your old employer, you can get proof directly from HMRC. There are two main ways to do this.

  1. For employment within the last 5 years - Use your personal tax account

You can get your past employment details using your personal tax account.

It's easy to register for Government Gateway and you can use the gov.uk website or app to show your income from work in the previous 5 years. 

Log in or register here 

What we need: You will need to send us a clear screenshot or download of the employment history page, with your name clearly showing and upload this as proof.

Need Encouragement? Hear Simon's Story

     2. For employment 5+ years ago- Apply for your employment history report by post

If you need to get employment proof for 5+ years ago you will need to apply to HMRC by post using this HMRC form. 

Remember, we can only accept applications for fashion and textile employment within the last nine years. 

HMRC have more guidance about this process.

What we need: They will return a letter with information about your employment history that will detail your, national insurance number, employers by name and earnings for this period. You can then upload this to us as your trade connection proof. 

Need Encouragement? Hear Simon's Story

Simon used the HMRC portal to get his employment proof. Here, Simon explains how easy it was and encourages other parents to do the same. 


Was this helpful? If you have any further questions, please drop us an email.